Huge fire rips through Indian restaurant in Glasgow

The blaze broke out just before 3pm on Victoria Road in the south side of the city.

A huge fire has ripped through an Indian restaurant in the south side of Glasgow.

The blaze, which broke out just before 3pm, is believed to have started at the Kebabish Grill on Victoria Road in Govanhill.

Six fire engines, an aerial appliance and control unit are on the scene.

Residents who couldn't return to their homes were being invited to shelter at nearby Govanhill Baths.

A Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: "We can confirm we are in attendance at a fire on Victoria Road.

"We currently have six fire engines, an aerial appliance and a control unit on the scene."


A number of residents were seen being evacuated from the buildings above the shop by the fire service.


There are no reported injuries after the blaze.

Both sides of the road has been cordoned off and public transport is being diverted.

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon, who is the local MSP, said on Twitter: "My thoughts with those affected by the fire at Kebabish in my constituency. 

"@GovanhillBaths is open for anyone needing immediate shelter. Anyone who needs my assistance should get in touch in the normal ways." 


A number of nearby roads are closed and people are being urged to avoid the area.

Our Services use cookies to provide, analyse, improve and personalise your experience and to show you ads based on your interests. If you continue to use our Services without changing your settings, we’ll assume you’re ok with this. For more details about cookies and how to manage them, see our Cookie Policy.