Spider bite left father at risk of deadly blood poisoning
Tony Folan, 35, was bitten by a spider 'the size of a fist' while in his garage in Dalkeith.
A father-of-two needed medical attention after being bitten by a spider "the size of a fist" in Midlothian.
Tony Folan was looking through his garage in Dalkeith for his bicycle when the spider landed on his arm and bit him.
The 35-year-old developed a red mark on his arm soon after, but initially thought nothing of it.
Mr Folan then started shivering and sweating profusely before his face turned an "ashen grey" colour.
Doctors later told him that if he had left it for two more days it could have developed into fatal blood poisoning.
Mr Folan is currently being treated with a course of antibiotics.
He said: "It was huge, around five inches in length, about the size of my fist, with a skinny body.
"I'm not sure what species it was but never expected to get bitten.
"I was very shivery, sweating profusely and my face had turned to a sort of ashen grey colour.
"Someone at work pointed out the big red mark running up my arm and told me to go to the doctor but I thought nothing of it initially.
"It just looked like a typical pimple at first glance but when I went to the doctor you could see the two clear bite marks where the spider's fangs had been."
A total of 12 species of spider in the UK are able to cause harm to a human from the venom in their bite.