Plot to carry out another major terror attack on Sousse foiled
A plot to carry out a major terror attack on the Tunisian town of Sousse was foiled by authorities.
A plot to carry out a major terror attack on the Tunisian town of Sousse this month was foiled by authorities, it has emerged.
Police arrested 17 suspected Islamist militants and seized weapons including Kalashnikov rifles, explosives and a bomb belt.
The group were understood to be planning an attack on hotels and security forces in the resort.
In June, 30 Britons were among 38 tourists killed in Sousse by gunman Seifeddine Rezgui. So-called Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack.
Following the attack, the Foreign Office issued new travel advice for the region. It currently advises against "all but essential travel" to most of the country.
On Tuesday, Interior Ministry security chief Rafik Chelli told Reuters: "We have foiled a major attack this month that the terrorist cell was preparing against vital installations, hotels, security centres and against politicians to bring chaos to the country.
Chelli said some of the militants had been trained in Libya and Syria and were awaiting orders to carry out the assault.