Student suffers serious burns after phone charger explodes at home
Medical student Katy Emslie was using her laptop to recharge her EE Power Bar when it exploded.
A student has been left with serious burns after her phone charger exploded and set her bedroom ablaze.
Katy Emslie was using her laptop to recharge the EE Power Bar on Thursday night when it shot out “like a firework” and flew across the room.
The portable charger crashed into a wall, charring the carpet behind it and causing a fire under her bed.
In a panic, the medical student tried to extinguish the flames with her bare hands, leaving them badly burned.
Ms Emslie, from Aberdeen, said: “The Power Bar had run out of charge so I plugged it into my laptop at around 11.30pm and lay on my bed dozing.
“Around 1am I woke up to what sounded like a firework going off and saw this black stuff all over the carpet. The thing had exploded up the wall and there were flames under my bed.
“I screamed for my mum who was in the next room and tried to pat out the flames under my bed with my hand as I was scared the fire would set my bed alight.
"My mum came through, grabbed a towel and put the flames out and I ran through and put my hand under cold water.
“There was bits of power bar all over the room. Once we were sure the fire was out we went to A&E where I was seen by a plastic surgeon.”
EE hands out Power Bars to EE, Orange and T-Mobile customers free at its stores, describing them as the "ideal way" to charge a smartphone for festival-goers.
A spokeswoman for EE said: “We’re sorry to hear about Ms Emslie’s experience.
"All of our products undergo stringent safety tests. We’re in touch with the customer and are investigating as a matter of urgency."
Feedback: We want your feedback on our site. If you've got questions, spotted an inaccuracy or just want to share some ideas about our news service, please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Updates: Would you like STV’s latest news update in your inbox every morning? Choose from our range of regular e-newsletters here.