Dog owners warned after poisoned bait found on path
One pet has already been treated after falling ill on walk in St Cyrus, Aberdeenshire.
Dog owners have been warned to be vigilant after poisoned bait was found on a path.
Robson Vets in Laurencekirk posted a statement on its Facebook page saying it had already treated a pet that had been poisoned.
The bait was left along the clifftop walk at St Cyrus and the vets said the police have been made aware.
Robson Vets said on Thursday: "We were made aware of this today, when one of our patients accidentally ate some of the bait.
"Thankfully, her owner noticed and promptly brought her in, where she was successfully treated and is now home, hopefully none the worse for her adventure.
"Although incidents like this are rare, please be vigilant when out with your pets."
It added: "The police have been informed and people are on the look out for anyone acting suspiciously.
"If you do notice any piles like this and are able to clear them up safely, please do.
"The poison, if eaten, can affect any animal (including humans) though toxic doses vary."
A police spokeswoman said: "We have received a report from a member of the public and arrangements have been made to speak to them in order to establish the full circumstances of the matter."