Man suffers burns to arms after blaze at row of cottages in Fife
The blaze, which spread through the roof space, damaged two of the properties near St Andrews.
A man has been taken to hospital after a fire broke out at a row of cottages near St Andrews.
The incident happened at the properties at Denhead in Fife and affected two of the two-storey cottages.
A spokeswoman for the Scottish Fire Service confirmed a call was made to the emergency services at around 2.30am on Monday.
By the time fire officers arrived at the scene the fire was said to be "well alight" and had spread through the roof space of the cottages.
All residents were evacuated and one man was taken to hospital by ambulance suffering from burns to his arms.
A spokeswoman for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service Operations said: "Appliances from St Andrews, Cupar and Anstruther fire stations attended the incident and on arrival found a cottage well alight.
"Crews wearing breathing apparatus used three hose-reel jets to fight the fire and firefighters worked hard to prevent further fire spread to the adjoining cottages.
"The fire was caused by a motorbike being serviced in the kitchen area and the cottage suffered significant damage from the fire.
"One male casualty was taken to Ninewells Hospital suffering from burns to the arms."
Once the blaze was extinguished, fire officers entered the property to carry out checks.
They discovered a pet cat had survived the fire by hiding under a bed in one of the properties.
Updates: Would you like STV’s latest news update in your inbox every morning? Choose from our range of regular e-newsletters here.