North Berwick named Scotland's most expensive seaside town
The average price of a home in the East Lothian town rose by 11% last year to £327,124.
The most expensive seaside towns in Britain has been revealed with North Berwick topping the Scottish list.
The Bank of Scotland said the average price of a home in the East Lothian town rose by 11% last year to £327,124.
St Andrews in Fife was found to be the second most expensive, with an average price tag of £302,536.
Meanwhile an annual Seaside Town Review, conducted by Halifax, revealed Sandybanks in the south east of England is the most expensive seaside town in the UK.
An average house in the region was valued at nearly £665,000.
In close second on the pricey property list was Salcombe in Devon, where the average home is worth £539,950, followed by Padstow, Aldeburgh, Lymington and Dartmouth where average houses all reportedly cost more than £400,000.
The 10 most expensive seaside towns in Britain are:
- 1 - Sandbanks, South West, £664,655
- 2 - Salcombe, South West, £539,950
- 3 - Padstow, South West, £443,396
- 4 - Aldeburgh, East Anglia, £439,379
- 5 - Lymington, South East, £426,112
- 6 - Dartmouth, South West, £401,361
- 7 - Fowey, South West, £379,003
- 8 - St Mawes, South West, £373,746
- 9 - Wadebridge, South West, £373,351
- 10 - Budleigh Salterton, South West, £360,984
Meanwhile the most expensive coastal regions in Scotland are:
1 - North Berwick, East Lothian, £327,124
2 - St Andrews, Fife, £302,536
3 - Newtonhill, Aberdeenshire, £245,507
4 - Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, £236,057
5 - Inverbervie, Aberdeenshire, £213,468
At the other end of the scale shore front locations in Scotland dominated the list of seaside towns with the least expensive properties with most average house prices falling under the £100,000 mark.
The 10 least expensive seaside towns in Britain are:
- 1 - Port Bannatyne, Scotland, £77,132
- 2 - Newbiggin by the Sea, North, £81,259
- 3 - Girvan, Scotland, £91,912
- 4 - Campbeltown, Scotland, £91,938
- 5 - Saltcoats, Scotland, £93,479
- 6 - Stranraer, Scotland, £96,476
- 7 - Invergordon, Scotland, £98,673
- 8 - Millport, Scotland, £98,742
- 9 - Rothesay, Scotland, £99,005
- 10 - Thurso, Scotland, £99,660
The list was compiled by Halifax using house price figures from the Land Registry and the Registers of Scotland, and covered 196 seaside towns across Britain.