Celtic fan gets four-year football ban over PSG attack
John Hatton, of Belfast, also given a 160-hour community payback order.
A Celtic fan who ran on to the pitch during his team's clash with Paris Saint-Germain before carrying out an assault has been banned from football in the UK for four years.
John Hatton, of Portadown in Northern Ireland, ran through the players in the first half of the Champions League fixture at Celtic Park before he was led away by stewards on Tuesday, September 12.
On Wednesday at Glasgow Sheriff Court, the 21-year-old was banned from football in the UK for four years and given a 160-hour community payback order.
It comes after he pleaded guilty to pitch incursion and assault last month.
He assaulted PSG forward Kylian Mbappe by attempting to kick him during the game, which Celtic lost 5-0.
Sheriff McConell told Hatton: "It is fortunate the player you targeted wasn't struck or injured but he must have been greatly alarmed.
"Clearly there was considerable potential for serious large scale disorder as a consequence of your actions.
"Indeed, I am told some disorder did follow upon your conduct and the crowd became hostile as a consequence of what you did."
Fiscal depute Louise MacNeill said: "At about 8.20pm, PSG had just scored a goal and as players from this team were celebrating, the accused jumped over the metal railing from the stand on to the football pitch while the live football match was still being played.
"The accused continued to run across the pitch and approached a footballer, Kylian Mbappe, at which point the accused extended his leg and attempted to kick the witness.
"He was unsuccessful and missed his kick, at which point he attempted to run off the pitch. He was stopped by stewards working within the stadium and escorted off the field of play and towards police."
Defence lawyer Dan Cameron said: "He does accept he was drinking from 11am in the morning.
"The (background) report is quite clear about his remorse being genuine.
"He is aware of the impact his actions have had, he has been banned by the club for life."
Celtic have been charged by UEFA over the incident and face a hearing on Thursday, October 19.
A range of sanctions are available to the European game's governing body, starting at a warning or financial penalty, up to a potential stand closure or travel ban for supporters.