Primary school closes after winter vomiting bug outbreak
Elmvale Primary has sent pupils and staff home after many were struck down with the norovirus.
A primary school has been closed until Friday after an outbreak of a winter vomiting bug.
Elmvale Primary School in Springburn, Glasgow, has confirmed its temporary closure after pupils were struck down with the norovirus.
In a statement on social media, the school said it would be "closed until Friday 9am due to an outbreak of the norovirus".
It continued: "We hope to see everyone back and feeling better on Friday."
The norovirus spreads very easily and can affect anyone of any age, causing vomiting and diarrhoea. Other symptoms include headaches, stomach cramps and aching limbs.
Although most people will make a full recovery within two days, anyone with norovirus is advised to stay away from school or work until 48 hours after their symptoms have stopped.
Glasgow City Council said it had been dealing with a high number of absences at the school.
A spokeswoman said: "Over the last couple of days the school has been dealing with a high number of pupil and staff absences due to a vomiting bug and school staff are liaising with the public health team from NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde.
"Norovirus information has been sent home to all families and a deep clean of the school premises is being carried out.
"Norovirus, sometimes known as the 'winter vomiting bug', is the most common stomach bug in the UK, affecting people of all ages.
"Most people with norovirus will make a full recovery in one to two days. It is important to keep hydrated - especially children and the elderly.
"Good hand hygiene using soap and water is important to stop the spread of the virus.
"Anyone with norovirus should stay away from school or work until 48 hours after their symptoms have stopped."