League reconstruction plans defeated in Scottish Premier League vote
The top flight clubs have voted against introducing the proposed 12-12-18 league format.
The Scottish Premier League will not back league reconstruction plans after the proposals failed to win enough votes at a meeting at Hampden.
The plans, which would have seen a single league body created, new financial distribution and the adoption of a 12-12-18 league structure, did not gain the 11 votes required to move the plan forward. St Mirren and Ross County voted against the proposal.
A draft rulebook had been drawn up and has been discussed by all SPL clubs previously.
"The proposals required 11 votes in favour to be approved," an SPL spokesperson said in a statement released to the media. "Ten votes in favour were received, with two against. The proposals were not therefore approved.
"During the meeting, and in an effort to break the deadlock, an amendment to the League’s rules on voting was proposed.
"This major and progressive change would have allowed future league structure to be determined by a 9-3 vote, rather than the current 11-1 majority. Prior to the meeting, a number of clubs had suggested that voting change would enable league structure change to be voted through.
"Unfortunately, this amendment was also defeated in principle on a show of hands, with the same two clubs voting against.
"The Chief Executive and his team have worked tirelessly over the last three years to bring about positive change in the SPL. The Board would like to place on record its deep disappointment that proposals to benefit the entire game in Scotland have been blocked."
Aberdeen chairman Stewart Milne laid responsibility for the decision with St Mirren.
"One club in particular you would need to ask just exactly what their agenda is - St Mirren," he said. "What was on the table for everyone to consider today was back the plan, an opportunity to move Scottish football forward.
"If it doesn't deliver to the extent that 10 clubs genuinely believe it will deliver, then the opportunity is there to re-look at it down the line within two to three years.
"It's the status quo. The offer of changing the reconstruction rules was rejected by the two clubs, which no one can see the logic behind."
SPL Chairman Ralph Topping said: “An overwhelming majority of SPL clubs voted for these proposals to go through. The proposals foundered on the opposition of two clubs. The package involved concessions from all clubs and was for the betterment of Scottish football as a whole.
“I would like to thank those who have supported these proposals, including those full-time professional clubs outside of the SPL who find themselves let down by today’s vote. Scottish football needs to change.
"I had previously announced my intention to step down once a successor had been identified. I have today advised the Board that I will not be seeking re-election at the SPL’s AGM this July.”
The Scottish Football league have said that they have now cancelled their planned vote on the restructure proposal.
"Following the decision taken today by member clubs of The Scottish Premier League, The Scottish Football League Special General Meeting scheduled for Friday of this week will no longer be required," an SFL spokesperson said.
"The Scottish Football League have supported the core principles of the proposed League reconstruction plan since the Henry McLeish report was published in December, 2010. Henry’s review of Scottish football was well received and reflected a broad view of input from the widest range of football stakeholders.
"We believe that positive change for the good of the game can still be achieved, but this will require compromise, and a more flexible approach to some key issues. If all parties agree to this approach and some realistic time frames can be agreed, then the current momentum for positive change need not be lost.
"The Board of The Scottish Football League will meet on Thursday to review where we are and a further statement may be appropriate at that time."