Nine in ten oil workers 'against return of Super Pumas'
A new study suggests 65% of people working offshore would refuse to fly in one again.
Nine out of ten oil workers are against the return of Super Puma helicopters following a series of fatal crashes, a survey has found.
All North Sea Super Pumas were grounded after a crash off Norway in April 2016 which claimed 13 lives.
Iain Stuart from Laurencekirk in Aberdeenshire was among the victims.
The helicopters are yet to return to the skies and a new study suggests that 90% of oil workers would not travel on them again.
The survey of 2500 people also found that 65% would refuse to fly in a Super Puma if they did return.
Around 85% said nothing could change their minds, while the other 15% said a redesigned gearbox and revamped seating might help.
Three fatal crashes involving Super Pumas in the North Sea since 2009 have cost 33 lives. Two were the result of apparent mechanical faults, while another was pilot error.
Kevin Forbes, managing director of recruitment website Oil and Gas People, which carried out the survey, said: "We expected a large majority to oppose the potential Super Puma return.
"But with over 90% against a return and two-thirds of the workforce advising they will refuse to get on board a Super Puma, it seems that aircraft operators need to think long and hard about the ramifications of returning the aircraft to service."
Super Pumas were grounded by the European Aviation Safety Agency (Easa) in April 2016.
Easa lifted its ban in October but the grounding continues to be enforced by authorities in the UK and Norway.
Helicopter operator CHC has already ended its use of Super Pumas.
The firm said a "lack of commercial demand" from its customers was responsible for its decision.
A series of changes intended to improve the safety of North Sea travel have been introduced in recent years, including seating oil workers by size and installing new breathing apparatus in helicopters.